Are your beliefs holding you back in life? When was the last time you paused to evaluate your beliefs and listen to your own thoughts? Beliefs are thoughts and statements that we perceive as reality whether they are true or not. Beliefs vary from each person as our beliefs stem from our experiences and feedback from our environment such as teachers, parents, religious leaders or the media.
Even though we are not often aware of our thoughts, they are powerful. They impact how we create our reality and the lens from which we view the world. Many beliefs serve us well, but sometimes a belief or story that we tell ourselves can end up blocking us from forward progress. These are called limiting beliefs or blocks as they limit us from achieving our goals and dreams.
Here are some examples of Limiting Beliefs:
- I’m not smart enough
- I’m not a good mom
- I’m too old to start something new
- I don’t have enough time
- I don’t have the skills or talent
- I will never find the right job
- Some other people are just lucky
These are just a few examples, but limiting beliefs can affect our mood, self-esteem, physical health, career path, relationships and more. Limiting beliefs keep you from seeing the different possibilities in the world and can prevent you from taking action. In essence, they keep you from living a fulfilling life.
The good news is that you can change this! The way that you clear limiting beliefs is by recognizing them, practicing compassion and letting go of them.
Here are some helpful suggestions to help clear limiting beliefs:
- The first step is creating awareness and this can be achieved many ways and will vary by individual. You can start by listening to the voices in your head and identify what they are saying. Writing a list, meditating or journaling can be helpful. Another awareness technique is to evaluate your behavior to look behind your triggers. If you have a strong reaction to something, dig a little deeper to figure out why?
- Once your limiting beliefs are identified, assess how accurate they are. It’s important to recognize that our beliefs and fears could be in place as a means of protecting us. However, they may no longer be serving us and preventing us from living the life we want. Be honest and open with yourself without judgement.
- Recognize that you limit yourself with thoughts and that thoughts can be changed. Challenge your limiting beliefs and replace them with more empowering beliefs.
- Pair the new beliefs with action. This means actively seeking opportunities for development and growth in all aspects of your life. Be sure to celebrate your wins, big and small.
If you’re struggling to resolve your limiting beliefs, remember that you are not alone. We all experience limiting beliefs on some level and it takes work to change your perspective. The magic is once you change your perspective, you can change your life.
“She Believed She Could,
So She Did.”
– R.S. Grey
Working with a therapist, counselor or coach can help you move through your blocks, hold you accountable and help you cultivate and nourish your vision for success.
If you want to chat with a life and career coach to help change your perspective to achieve your goals and dreams, schedule a connection call with me. We can chat about your current challenges or obstacles holding you back, so that you can live a life full of energy, purpose and joy.
It’s Never Too Late for the Life You Want.